FIND INSPIRATION IN THE EVERY DAY.

Friday, December 16, 2011

12 Days of Christmas: Storytime



Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree by Robert Barry.  

I have read this book to my boys, every single Christmas since they were born.  We have my husband's childhood copy, published in 1963.  Full of wonderful pen and ink drawings, it's all about what happens when "Mr. Willowby's Christmas tree came by special delivery.  Full and fresh and glistening green - The biggest tree he had ever seen," doesn't fit in his foyer.  The top goes to the upstairs maid, then that doesn't fit and the top goes to gardener, then to the bear family, and on and on... It makes me smile every year.


Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening by Robert Frost

"Whose woods these are, I think I know.  His house is in the village, though;" Everyone knows this poem. I think I know it by heart now, but it never ceases to delight me.  Its rhythm is like a lullaby.

My favorite line:

The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind
And downy flake.

This particular edition (c. 1978) brings to life a Santa-like character as the speaker.  The illustrations are by Susan Jeffers, and done in pencil with great delicacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment