FIND INSPIRATION IN THE EVERY DAY.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Wonky + Imperfect = Beautiful

I'm drawn to all things imperfect.  Wonky things.  Crooked things.  Things that have been broken and then repaired.  I like the rusty, the leaning, the drippy, the patched.  I love old things made useful again in a new way, things that show they've been loved well.  I like old materials, modern lines.

Hell to the yeah, my work is imperfect.  (As am I.... :) I'd be lying if I didn't say that throwing a perfectly smooth, symmetrical, even piece didn't feel great sometimes, but for the most part - showing fingerprints and glaze drips are what make my pieces feel real, and alive and tune them to that handmade wave that I love so much.

Thought I'd share some of the perfectly imperfect design that are currently ringing my bell:


This beautifully wrinkly linen apron from bookhau at home.


These drippy scallop wall stickers from Jim Houser at WhatisBlik.


My favorite book at the moment: 
Handcrafted Modern by Leslie Williamson


English Burl and Walnut Table by George Nakashima
Masterful at highlighting the beauty of flaws. Oh, the joinery!!



Elephant Ceramics is the brainchild of Michelle Michael, a stylist who couldn't find the earthy, drippy ceramics she wanted to prop her shoots, so she designed her own!  I find them delightful.

Check out her beautifully-photographed website, including her blog, at www.elephantceramics.com





No comments:

Post a Comment