FIND INSPIRATION IN THE EVERY DAY.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Colorful Alison Shaw

I love good photography.  Probably because I am pretty horrible at it, or, rather, I just don't take many photographs.  I'm lazy.  I am always trying to be "in the moment," rather than trying to preserve it.  I'm laughing at the silly face that's being made, or sniffing the delicious banana bread, or admiring the pile of red, red radishes at the farmer's market, or following that red tail hawk as it finds its nest.  Photo, schmoto.

(Shout out to my husband: if it weren't for him, there would be NO evidence that our family ever existed.  Thanks, lovey. Just one of the many reasons...)

So when I see photography that captures those gorgeous fleeting moments - the ones I'm too busy enjoying as my camera hangs heavy and useless from the strap around my neck - not only do I admire the image, but I admire the photographer, for having the discipline and grace, to create a beautiful slice of time preserved.

Photographer Alison Shaw is as graceful a photographer as I've seen.  Her twenty-five years on Martha's Vineyard are reflected in her work - images that are saturated, vibrant, almost painterly.  Color, color, gorgeous color - especially that cobalt island blue.  (Please forgive the tiny size of these photos.  The quality of her photographs I could get my hands on are such that they cannot be blown up - rightly so - a girl's gotta make a living, but then another frustrated girl's gotta write a blog...)


Shaw's brand new self-titled gallery in Oak Bluffs, MA. 
She just opened up her own shop in Oak Bluffs, MA, in an old, one-engine fire house.  No surprise: she painted her gallery blue!  And if you can't get to the Vineyard at the moment, just visit www.alisonshaw.com to see Shaw's gorgeous color and black and white photography in its full-sized splendor, as it ought to be.  It's totally worth the click.

No comments:

Post a Comment