FIND INSPIRATION IN THE EVERY DAY.

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Steve Jobs: Dogma Free


In 1987, I went to college with my first Apple.  It was a clunky thing with a disk drive that was so loud that I couldn’t work on it at night because it kept my roommate awake, but it was the coolest thing I had ever owned.  It smiled at me when I pressed the power button.  It was approachable.  It was cute.  It made me less afraid.


From the get-go, Apple made all things electronic, well, friendly.  When I didn’t know how to do something, I just asked my Macbook for help.  And miracle: I got help. I edited my entire portfolio, made a slideshow that looks beautiful when it’s run at craft shows, created postcards and tearsheets from Mac templates, created a blog that doesn’t look like an idiot made it, made playlists to work to, ran credit cards, googled directions when I was lost, took photos of my boys’ first day of school even though I forgot the camera.  


I want to say to Steve Jobs: I appreciate your work.  You had vision and you changed the world and you changed our lives and you helped us live better.  Thank you.


Below is a link to Jobs's 2005 commencement speech at Stanford.  It reminds us to listen to that inner voice, to hear your heart, and to connect the dots: Steve Jobs: Connecting the Dots

1 comment:

  1. This is a lovely post. it is a very nice way to commemorate someone who has impacted so many lives in so many ways! His commencement speech was amazing. I cried all the way through it. He was brilliant and the world will surely miss his light. Thank you for your post. xokp

    ReplyDelete